Eurasian food focuses heavily on spice and this recipe is no exception. The deep fried, boiled eggs will create the perfect base to pour the sambal over, catching in the dips and cracks of the eggs. You can also use this sambal on chicken or fish or a family favourite topped on pan fried brinjals.
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- 8 eggs
- 3 medium sized onions, blended
- 3 tbsps chilli powder
- 2 tbsps tamarind paste mixed with 1 cup water
- 2 tbsps sugar
- Good pinch of salt
- Cover the eggs (room temperature) with water and bring to the boil.
- Once boiling, turn off the heat, cover and leave for 6 minutes.
- Peel and pat dry.
- Put enough oil in a pan to submerge the eggs half way.
- Fry for about 2 minutes and flip over to fry the other side until the whole egg is golden brown.
- Remove the eggs from the pan and set aside.
- Remove the oil from the pan until you’re left with about 1/2 a cup of oil.
- Fry the blended onions until lightly browned.
- Add the chilli powder and tamarind water.
- Add the sugar and salt.
- Continue to fry for another 10 - 15 minutes, or until the oil bubbles to the surface.
- Coat the eggs in the sambal and serve.
- Course : Main